Fees in $
|TESOL Course Options|
|4 Week Course||$1,700 USD|
|Flexible Course (2 weeks onsite)||$1,100 USD|
|Online TESOL Course||$600 USD|
|Deposit (deducted from final balance)||$400|
The deposit secures your place, and the remaining balance is payable to INTESOL Nicaragua no later than 30 days before your course start date.
What’s included in your Nicaragua TESOL course fee?
- ALAP level 5 Certificate in TESOL with Teaching practice (CELTA/TRINITY alternative)
- INTESOL Certificate in TESOL (graded)
- INTESOL teaching practice certificate (graded)
- ALAP course transcript
- All ALAP registration fees
- Course materials
- Job placement assistance for Granada and beyond. We can assist you in finding a placement in Granada or further afield in other areas in Nicaragua.
- Practical experience in teaching local students at a local English Language School
- Benefit from the support of a highly experienced staff including teachers and teacher trainers
- Pre-departure support (Skype available)
- Reference for TESOL job application
- Airport pick up service on arrival in Nicaragua
- A first day Nicaraguan culture immersion “ Do and don’t do “ as well a general information about your stay, support, health, facilities, life in Granada, general attitude, orientation, recommendation
- Opportunity to sign-up to day and weekend excursions – see our ‘Weekend Trips’ page for more information
About INTESOL Nicaragua – The School
Our school works in partnership with one of the many language schools in Granada and as such has the opportunity to give back to the community by offering free English lessons, scholarships and practical support for the school.
Centrally located, the school is within walking distance of central park, bars, restaurants and coffee shops. It’s also conveniently located close to the sandy beaches of the Pacific, the cool volcanic waters of the Laguna de Apoyo and of course the hundreds of islands on Lake Nicaragua.
Teaching in Nicaragua
After completing your TEFL course with us we’ll happily help you find either paid or volunteer work in Nicaragua. There is huge demand for native speaking English teachers in Nicaragua and the country offers a range of different opportunities for people with a TEFL qualification.
Most recruitment for English teachers in Nicaragua is done locally face-to-face. Although you can find work all year round there is a lull in hiring between December and January. A typical working week will be around 20-25 hours, leaving you plenty of time to explore and travel.
On average the typical wage for an English teacher is around $400 – $500 a month. That doesn’t seem like a lot but the cost of living in Nicaragua is extremely low with rent as little as $100 per month. TEFL certified teachers also have the opportunity to top up their salaries by offering private tutoring for $5 – $12 an hour.
INTESOL Nicaragua is working hard to ensure that we give something back to this beautiful but impoverished country. Nicaragua is the poorest country in Central America and many people struggle to make ends meet meaning education often takes a back seat.
INTESOL Nicaragua is helping people in Granada by providing:
- Free English lessons to local Nicaraguans. We cater for all abilities of English in our free lessons taught by the teacher students of INTESOL Nicaragua
- School supplies to our partner language schools in Granada. We help local English language schools with equipment and stationery to ensure that the students and teachers at these schools have everything they need to learn/teach effectively.
- A scholarship program for local people in Granada who reach an advanced level of English and wish to become TEFL teachers. We offer scholarships to those English learners who want to progress and potentially start a career as a TEFL teacher
Living in Granada
Accommodation options in Granada are varied and we have a number of options we can help organise for you. Alternatively, you are free to research and find your own hostel or room for rent in Granada – whichever you prefer!
We have ongoing established relationships with a variety of accommodations in Granada, all of which are within easy walking distance of the school (or a short cab ride). Our first choice however would be a homestay as this gives back to the community and offers a quiet environment for you to study in during your course. Homestays start at $250 per month, including two meals a day.
INTESOL Worldwide TESOL/TEFL courses are accredited by ALAP (Awarding Language Acquisition for Professionals), a UK based Awarding Organisation. ALAP is an accrediting organisation that specialises in the ELT industry.
ALAP is supported by an esteemed Academic Panel who are all experts in the field of English Language Teaching. The ALAP panel oversee matters related to academic quality, ensuring that the value of an ALAP Certificate is upheld.
Unit 1: The Study of English
Module 1 – Grammar – tasks on the understanding of grammar, tense & structure – to be completed with the use of a grammar book.
Module 2 – Phonetics – tasks relating to the phonetic alphabet(given), stress & intonation.
Module 3 – Lexis – tasks relating to the presentation of vocabulary, compound words, word stems, language appropriacy & frequency.
Unit 2: The Teaching and Learning of ESOL
Module 1 – Basic Principles – answers from your own experience and the course materials on:
1) the blocks which may prevent learning
3) communicative competence.
Module 2 – Reading and Listening – tasks based on exploitation of authentic materials i.e. magazines, newspapers, radio broadcasts etc.
Module 3 – Speaking and Writing – tasks based as above but with a more productive bias – getting your students to produce language
Module 4 – Visual Aids – study of all the audio-visual aids available. Production of your own flashcards and aids to be used with a simple flannelgraph.
Module 5 – Error – looking at authentic student errors, classifying them, using a correction code, producing remedial exercises and improving your own practice.
Unit 3: Lesson Planning
Module 1 – Classroom Management – task relating to student teacher relationships and how to achieve genuine communication inside and outside the classroom.
Module 2 – Lesson Stages and Plans – putting all the above into a lesson; timing; warm-up; input; practice and production stages of your lessons.
Award of Certificate
Certificates are graded as follows:
- A1 – Distinction
- A2 – Excellent
- B1 – Very Good
- B2 – Good
- C – Pass
Course Dates 2018
To be announced